Saturday, December 21, 2013

How to Survive College

Some people called me crazy when I said I was taking 19 units the past semester. I have to say that I agree with them. 19 units kept me busy!


So, how in the world did I manage to get through 19 units while I was also interning, volunteering, and training for my half marathon half the time? Yes, that was a run on question. Well, here's how I did it.


  • One of the most helpful things I learned while doing this is to schedule and plan everything as best as you can. Yes, you will have to plan when you wake up, exercise, go to class, study, do homework and all of that. That way, you will get at least things done. Trust me. If you don't do this, you will feel overwhelmed with everything that you won't know where to start. Things do come up unexpectedly but learn to work around it.  
  • Be on top of your readings and note taking. For my Social and Cultural Aspects of Food class, my professor does the traditional write down everything on paper method. It's best to read the textbook beforehand. Then, go to class and write down notes. Then, either re-write your notes after class or type them up. I find it useful for me to type up the notes and then add in some things from the textbook. I use Google Drive to type up my notes so that I can look at my notes on my phone while I'm on the go. 
  • If you need help, ask for it. Your professor won't know that you're struggling unless you go and talk to them. They'll be more than happy to explain things to you. Yes, that means going to their office hours to get some help. It's better to get help in the beginning before things start to build up and you end up getting even more confused at the end. 
  • Study groups are a great thing. Before an exam, go study with your classmates. It does wonders. Your classmate might be able to explain something that you might not be clear on and vice versa. You might make a new friend too. =)
  • Eating right, exercising, and getting enough sleep is really important. That way, you have the energy to get through the day. 
What are your tips for getting through college?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...