Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Chinese Sponge Cake 蒸鸡蛋糕 and my spanish project

Hello everyone! I'm so happy right now because I got my school year book today. I'm so excited to look at it.
Anyway, as you know, I made Chinese sponge cake yesterday. I'm so happy because it actually turned out this time. It took 5 tries until it turned out right. I'm so happy.
On top of that, the cake is delicious. My family already devoured it. It's only been a day since I made it too. It tastes a lot better than the bakery cakes and it is healthier. It uses canola oil instead of butter. That, I am happy about. No saturated fat.
Anyway, it can take a while to master making a sponge cake. Don't worry if it doesn't turn out the first time. I'm so happy because now, I can make those Chinese fruit sponge cakes that they make for birthdays. All I have to do is add frosting, cream, and fruit.
Anyway, here's the recipe.
Ingredients: 

A:
  • 1 cup cake flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil (any type is fine)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 8 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
B:
  • 8 egg whites
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
Directions:
  1. Mix batter A  with a hand mixer until just mixed. 
  2. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, whisk  the egg whites and cream of tartar (B) for 5 minutes until soft peaks form.
  3. Then, mix batter A with an electric mixer for about 4 to 5 mintues.
  4. Pour batter B into A. Then, mix them together, stirring in only one direction using a rubber spatula. 
  5. Pour into the rice cooker and set it to the cake setting. It should take about 45 minutes. 
  6. Once it's done cooking, open up the rice cooker and take the cake out. 
  7. You can decorate the cake with frosting, fruit and with whatever you want. You can even cut the cake in the middle to add pastry cream.
  8. Enjoy. :)







I hope you guys enjoy the cake. :)

Anyway, now, back to the Spanish movie project.  My group filmed Jaque mate en dos jugadas. I had so much fun filming the movie, even though it took 4 hours to film a 5 to 6 minute movie. Then again, my friend got distracted by Avatar the last airbender and we also ate pizza too.

We also messed up so many times, laughing. It was hard to keep things serious. There was a light saber fight and it took so much effort to not laugh. There was also a scene where I was suppose to drive to this one place. Well, I had to use my friends car, first of all. He said he unlocked the car and all I had to do was pretend to unlock in and then get in. He gave me the keys, and then we filmed and I walked up to the car. But, when I opened the car door, the alarm rang. My friend got really mad at me while the rest of us were laughing our heads off. It was so funny. I said sorry and he said that I shouldn't have pushed any buttons and that I should stay off the roads. It's not my fault. He still blames me.

Here's the video. Comments and suggestions would be nice.

The link is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLlMGk7VF30
I hope you guys enjoy watching it. Some parts are really hilarious. Tell me what you think, especially about my Spanish speaking and my acting.

Anyway, do you guys like acting?
What's your favorite type of cake?


    25 comments:

    1. why does your rice cooker have a cake setting...
      MINES DONT!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It depends on the brand of rice cooker you buy. The fancy ones like mine has it. Look at asian stores and you might be able to find one with a cake setting.You can also bake it for 45 minutes at 350 F.

        Delete
    2. hi, is baking soda ok instead of baking powder ?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's better to use baking powder. Baking powder is baking sodas with added acid.

        Delete
    3. Helen is cream of tartar really necessary for your spongy cake? Thanks

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes. Cream of tartar is needed.

        Delete
      2. Helen, I found it is difficult to mix the batter (A) with the egg white (B). Some A sits at the bottom. Don't know how you make it so nice.

        Delete
      3. It takes practice. What do you use to mix the two batters?

        Delete
      4. Well, I used a spatula as shown in your photos and stirred in one direction. It seemed well mixed but after it was baked, I found it was not the case.

        Delete
      5. You can try mixing it with something else? I just use what I have at home. I don't own fancy baking equipment.
        Also, it takes time to perfect the art of this type of cake. I tried making it a few times before it turned out.

        Delete
      6. A mixer may work better. Thanks

        Delete
    4. Hello! Can this be baked on a conventional oven?

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hello! Can this be baked on a conventional oven?

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hello! Can this be baked on a conventional oven?

      ReplyDelete
    7. Hello! Can this be baked on a conventional oven?

      ReplyDelete
    8. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Looks yummy. Going to try making this

      ReplyDelete
    10. Replies
      1. It is about 100 grams. I hope this helps! =)

        Delete
    11. Can sugar mixed inside the batter B? to make the egg white more fluffy

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You can try it. I haven't tried it yet. Let me know how it turns out.

        Delete
    12. Hi, i followed this recipe exactly n the cake turns out not as fluffy as the pic(not as high), any advice for me? Appreciate it..

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...