Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Healthy Ice Cream Choices

Hey hey everyone. Sorry that it has been a while since I last posted. A lot has happened the past couple weeks and I've been really busy! I haven't been able to bake much the past weeks. So, I'm just gonna tell you guys about some "healthier" ice cream choices. But, before that, I need to tell you guys about what has happened the past couple weeks.
Let's start with today. I gave my senior project presentation today, and it was nerve-wrecking. I hate giving presentations because I get nervous easily.  I was the first to go in the group. I think I did  okay.
I also got to review some healthy ice cream for an article I'm writing in journalism. Yummy ice cream. But, more like soy ice cream, Gelato and frozen greek yogurt. Still really delicious.
Also, I'm performing at my school's cinco de mayo assembly again! It's this Friday. I'm singing solo this time, and I'm singing Bella Traicion. I love that song. What's so scary is that, I'm going to be the first singing act! I'll be the 2nd act though. Dancing is the first. I'm so nervous. The Spanish teachers chose me to be in the beginning to start out the assembly really strong and it's giving me pressure! Wish me luck.I'm gonna be singing acapella.
And speaking of luck, I had some bad luck last week. My hard drive stopped working for some reason and I had to get a new one. I lost all my files. :( Remember to back up everything! You never know what may happen.
Anyway, back to the ice cream reviews.


Me and another test subject tasted 8 types of healthier ice creams:
Everything but the………… Ben and Jerry 
  Carmel Cookie Crunch…..…Talenti
Chocolate Fudge Brownie….Soy Dream 
  Rasberry Fudge Chunk…..…Ben and Jerry: Greek Frozen Yogurt
  Vanilla………………………Adonia: Greek Frozen Yogurt
  Vanilla………………………Dreyer’s Yogurt Blend
Simply Strawberry…………..Talenti
Blood Orange………………..Ciao bella Gelato

We did a blind fold test so we didn’t know which flavors we were eating at the time. Here are the results:

For the chocolate flavors:

Everything but the… by Ben and Jerry:
            300 calories per ½ cup serving. 17 g fat, 5 g protein and 28 g sugar.  
            Me:  Tastes really good. It’s creamy and I like the fudge flavor. I like the crunchy nuts it has and I taste something peanut buttery. It’s nice and all of it mixes well together.
            Test subject: It’s mushy, and there’s peanut butter. It’s good but it has a weird taste in the beginning.

Carmel Cookie Crunch by Talenti (gelato)
220 calories per ½ cup serving, 10 g fat, 4 g protein and 29 g sugar
Me:  This is really creamy and delicious. The texture is nice and soft and I like the sweetness. Is that some sort of chocolate I taste? It’s good.
Test subject: There’s a weird taste to the chocolate but it’s good. It’s crunchy.

Raspberry Fudge Chunk by Ben and Jerry: Greek Frozen Yogurt

            180 calories per ½ cup serving, 6 g fat, 5 g protein and 22 g sugar

            Me: There’s a chalky texture to this. I like the chocolate chunks in it along with the fruit taste though.
            Test subject: This is horrible. I don’t know how to describe it. It reminds me of a gross type of tea I tried before.

Chocolate Fudge Brownie by Soy Dream

            170 calories per ½ cup serving, 9 g fat, <1 g protein, and 13 g sugar
These nutrition facts are the best for the chocolate flavors.. This has the least sugar, fat and calories. But, there isn’t much protein.
            Me: It’s fudgey and chocolaty. I like it. The brownies in it taste good too.
            Test subject: There’s a funky taste to this ice cream. There’s a weird flavor and a plastic smell to it.
Overall, for the chocolate flavors, the Everything but the… and the Carmel cookie crunch were the best. Our least favorite was the Raspberry Chocolate Chunk.

For the fruit flavors:

Blood Orange by Ciao Bella Gelato

            100 calories per ½ cup serving, 0 g fat, 0 g protein and 24 g sugar.
            Me:  I like the orange flavor, but I don’t like the texture. It’s not really creamy. It’s more icy. Maybe it’s because it melted then we refroze it, but maybe it’s suppose to be like that.
            Test subject: There is a snow cone texture. But, it’s nice, soft and creamy once you get past it. It’s good.
Simply Strawberry by Talenti (gelato)
            200 calories per ½ cup serving, 9 g fat, 4 g protein and 25 g sugar
            Me:  The texture is really good. It’s soft and creamy. There’s a real strawberry taste to it. I actually taste some strawberry bits in it.
Test subject: Mmmmm. It’s really good. It’s nice, soft and creamy and there’s
 a real fruit flavor.
Overall, we both liked the Simply Strawberry and the Blood Orange. I personally liked the Strawberry but the test subject like the Blood Orange. However, the Raspberry Chocolate Chunk was our least favorite.
Last but not least is Vanilla. Who can mess up the classic vanilla ice cream?

Vanilla by Adonia: Greek Yogurt

            130 calories per ½ cup serving, 0 g fat, 9 g protein and 22 g sugar
            Me: This has a good creamy texture like ice cream should have. It’s a bit chalky and parts though. The vanilla flavor isn’t that noticeable and there’s a weird after taste.
            Test subject: There’s a funky vanilla taste. It’s sour and tart. It’s not that good.

Vanilla by Dreyer’s Yogurt Blend

            100 calories per ½ cup serving, 3 g fat, 2 g protein and 13 g sugar
            Me:  This is really nice and creamy. There’s a strong vanilla taste but it’s not overpowering. Really good.
            Test subject: This tastes better than the other vanilla. It’s nice and creamy. It also has a real vanilla taste to it.

Overall, the Dreyer’s Yogurt blend was our favorite for the vanilla. The Adonia Greek Frozen Yogurt wasn’t bad. Regular Vanilla Greek Yogurt tastes much better than its ice cream counterpart.

With taste, health and cost involved, the classic Vanilla from Dreyer’s is the best. If not, then I would choose the chocolate flavors or Simply Strawberry. The test subject says that it depends on their mood. Blood Orange, Simply Strawberry, and Carmel Cookie Crunch are their top 3. Nutrition-wise, Blood Orange is the healthiest.

The next time you go off to buy ice cream, make sure to choose the healthier types. Read the nutrition facts to make sure it’s not high in calories, fat and sugar. Looking at the nutrition is not only good for the waistline but also your health. 

warning: most of these ice creams have a high amount of sugar in them. 

so, what is your guy's favorite ice cream? 
do you like to sing? 
anything interesting happen the past couple weeks?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...