Sunday, November 13, 2011

Steamed Sweet Glutinous Rice Balls


These are the ones my aunt made. I helped her.
I've had a craving for the steamed glutinous rice balls since my aunt made them a week ago. The only time I ever eat them is when my aunts make them to bring to the huge family gatherings. So, I finally decided to ask them how to make these Steamed Sweet glutinous rice balls. It's the not actual translation, but it's what I'm calling it. In Taishanese, it's called yuan tei. The ones I made look ugly, while the ones my aunt's made look nice. I added too much water, which gave it that look. My aunt never told me the liquid measurements for the recipe, so I guestimated. I did measure the liquid though, so, I can say to not go over 5 cups of water.
Mines didn't turn out so pretty, but they were delicious.
 However, they taste just the same. Maybe another problem is that I halved the recipe to make this, but, it's okay. I'm sure your guy's attempt will be better. I'll remember to use less water next time. It'll make it look better too. I will replace the picture once I made it again. They taste pretty good though. As long as something tastes delicious, the looks of it shouldn't matter. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:

  • 1 bag glutinous rice flour
  • 1 bag wheat starch
  • 1 bag of brown  candy sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 3 cups water
Directions:
  1. In a pot, boil the water and add all the sugar until it all melts and dissolves. Then, mix in half the bag of wheat starch. Keep mixing and stirring until it gets a bit thick. Remove from heat. 
  2. In a bowl, mix together the rest of the dry ingredients and form a volcano. In the center of the volcano, add in the sugar mixture. 
  3. Mix the mixture together until it forms a dough. You may need to mix and knead it a few times. Be careful, since the mixture is hot. 
  4. Once the dough has formed, you take small bits of dough and roll them into palls. Place them on a pan. Put them all together on the pan. Once you have used up all the dough to make the small balls, steam them for 30 minutes. You may need more than 1 pan.
  5. Take out and enjoy. You might want to let them cool a bit first. Remember to cover these soon, for these tend to dry out a bit easier due to the lack of lipids. 








As you see, mines didn't turn out so pretty, but the ones I helped my aunt make did. At least mines tasted the same. It just looks different.



9 comments:

  1. Hi I love these and haven't had them since I was little. Thanks for the recipe I do have one question......your receipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of water and than 3 cups of water. When you melt the sugar and starch together are you using the 1 1/2 cups or the 3 cups of water?
    Thanks
    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the late reply. You melt the sugar with 1 1/2 cups of water.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the information. What is the other 3 cups of water used for than?
    Thanks
    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recipe! My brother and I used to make these with our paternal grandmother. I used your recipe and shared it with him and it brought him back to when we were little, sitting on our knees, rolling the dough into little balls and putting them in the pie pan. Going to try and make them again, but to bring to my dad and his brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have any updates on this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. I don't have any updates. Do you have any questions about this recipe?

      Delete
  5. If the 1.5 cups of water is used to dissolver the sugar, what is the other 3 cups of water used for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi guys, I think the 1.5c is to melt the sugar in with the 3c being added to the combined sugar mixture and rest of the flour ingredients to make the right consistency. Slowly add it! I added all 3 and it made mine too watery. I had to add more flour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the recipe, Helen. To avoid lumps forming in the syrup when adding the wheat starch, I would recommend making a slurry by mixing a little water to the wheat starch in a bowl (like you would when thickening the sauce in a stir fry with cornstarch), then slowly add to the melted sugar and stirring constantly until thickened.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...