Friday, November 25, 2011

Rice Krispies Treats

When I was in elementary and middle school, I loved eating rice krispie treats. My parents would buy the packaged ones for me, the Kellogg brand kind. They'd buy the huge box from Costco. Sometimes, they would buy it from other places and there would be cocoa ones too. ;) I love the cocoa ones, but they usually bought the original ones.
Well, now that I'm older, I still love Rice Krispies. But, I learned that the packaged foods are not good for you. So not healthy, with the preservatives they add sometimes. So, I've decided to make them myself. In my opinion, they taste better (fresher taste). Also, I get to control what goes in what I eat. And, I get to cut them into bigger sizes if I want to eat a large one, and I get to add chocolate if I want too. ;) All I have to do is either use cocoa rice krispie cereal or add in chocolate chips (or M&M's) at the very end.
I started making rice krispies treats when I first started baking chocolate chip cookies (which were the first things I actually made). Here's the link to the post about how I started baking (and my first blog post). So, after making rice krispies treats for the first time, I decided to make them myself from now on instead of buying them. I've been them countless times now and everyone loves them. Here's the recipe. It's quick, simple and delicious. Buen Provecho.

Ingredients:
  • 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
  • 4 cups mini marshmallows
  • 3 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • chocolate chips or M&M's (optional)
  • sprinkles (optional)
Directions:
  1. In a sauce pan, melt the butter and marshmallows under low heat. 
  2. Once melted, add in the vanilla extract.
  3. Remove from heat, and mix in the cereal. Make sure all the cereal is coated with the marshmallow mixture. 
  4. Pour into a buttered 9x13 inch baking pan (or any size pan) and using a buttered spatula, evenly press the mixture in. Then, press in the chocolate chips. M&Ms, or sprinkles (do not mix it into the mixture). You can also drizzle melted chocolate over the top too. 
  5. Wait for them to cool and, then cut them into squares (any size you want). 
  6. Enjoy. :)
Some people use marshmallow fluff  instead, but I don't. In my opinion, it doesn't give it the same taste. Also, you can also use a microwave to melt the marshmallows and butter. You just risk burning it. That's why I like using the stove top method.

So, what are your guys favorite Rice Krispies flavor? What about your favorite childhood treat?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...