Chinese New Year is coming up pretty soon. It's coming in two weeks, February 10. It's on a Sunday. And, as you know, us Chinese make a lot of things to celebrate the New Year and do things to make sure that the New Year will be prosperous and good.
So, today's recipe is going to be the Chinese Prosperity Cake (Cupcakes), also known as Fa Gao (发糕). Fa go is a steamed cupcake. As you see, there are "petals". The more the petals have blossomed, the more prosperous you will be and the more wealth you will obtain in the New Year. I do have another recipe but this recipe is different from the other one. Here's the link to my other recipe.
This recipe here is more traditional but if you are unfamiliar with the taste and texture of rice flour, then I suggest you use my other recipe.
Servings: 6 cupcakes
Calories: ~ 140 calories
Recipe adapted from Random Cuisine.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 sticks brown candy sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp water
- Boil 3/4 cup of water and then add in the candy sugar. Wait until it dissolves.
- In a bowl, mix together the flours.
- Pour the sugar mixture into the flours and mix as you are pouring it in.
- Combine the baking powder with water and then add it into the batter.
- Pour into cupcake pans and steam for 15 minutes.
The texture of these cupcakes are a bit dense but they would be denser if you used all rice flour (which I've tried before). I hope you guys enjoy these! Zaijian!
Do you guys like cupcakes?
Do you guys celebrate the Lunar New Year (aka CNY)?