Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chocolate Protein Donuts, Day 2 Health Challenge Update, HoW 3, WIAW Week 1

I love donuts, don't you? Donuts are delicious! However, they're not healthy for you. With all the sugar and fat, it's something that should be consumed rarely (if at all).
However, these donuts are much healthier than the ones from the donut shop. They are made in a mini donut maker and have a much higher protein content, keeping you full longer. I ate these for breakfast and it still pretty much sticks to my meal plan. It makes enough for 2 breakfasts. Here's the recipe. I hope you guys enjoy!



Servings: 18 mini donuts
Calories:~ 25 calories for 1 donut


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup vanilla protein power
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 5 packets (teaspoons) of stevia
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons nonfat greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup nonfat milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. In a bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. 
  2. Mix in the wet ingredients. 
  3. Preheat your mini donut maker. Spray with nonstick spray (I use PAM Olive Oil). You can also bake these as mini cupcakes or donuts in the oven (preheat to 350 F). 
  4. If you're using a mini donut maker, you only need to put in about 1 to 2 tablespoons of batter into each mini donut hole. Coo as directed. 
  5. If you're baking them in the oven, bake them for 15 minutes. 
  6. Take them out and enjoy. 





You can drizzle these with honey or make a chocolate glaze if you want. It's up to you!

*I liked the taste of these raw better than cooked. It's up to you how you decide to eat it. It's safe to eat raw. *

*By the way, cooking protein powder does not diminish its benefits. The proteins are just denatured, just like cooking egg whites. Either way, before proteins reach your muscles and other parts of the body, it has to be digested. Before even leaving the stomach, the proteins are denatured due to the stomach's acidic environment. Then, it gets broken down to its amino acids. 

I might make a peanut butter frosting with  pb2 when I eat the rest tomorrow. I ordered pb2, BumbleBee Bars and Rise Bars from Amazon 2 days ago and it arrived today! So quick and efficient. I can't wait to try these. The Rise Bars came with:

  • 3 Crunchy Cashew Almond
  • 3 Crunchy Macadamia Pineapple
  • 2 Crunchy Cranberry Pineapple
  • 2 Crunchy Perfect Pumpkin
  • 2 Crunchy Honey Walnut




So, how did my health challenge go yesterday?

It pretty much went well. I'm happy to report that I didn't eat the sushi. I was really tempted to though! I also substituted tofu instead of eating the boca burger for the nori sushi roll. I ate some sweet potatoes along with the rest of my meal for dinner. I added some cashew clusters to my greek yogurt and I ate some dark chocolate.

Based on my activity level, the amount of calories I ate is just about right and I did do better than yesterday, which is a good thing. I'm hoping that today will be better.

So, here are some pictures for WIAW. It's my first time doing WIAW, What I Ate Wednesday, from Jenn's Blog, Peas and Crayons.


For Breakfast, here are some of my eats: 
My morning snack was an orange (no picture). 
My lunches are 2 sushi rolls. The picture is just the ingredients I used. Also, an unpictured avocado salad. 
For afternoon snacks, it's either been almonds, fruit, or carrots+hummus. 
My dinner has been quinoa, salmon (or tofu), and some sort of steamed veggies. 
My night snack has been greek yogurt, stevia, cocoa powder, ground cinnamon and some crushed cashew clusters: 

That concludes WIAW! I love this because it really makes you think what you REALLY eat in a day, or a week. That's also the HoW of the week. Try to track what you eat for a week to see what you really consume. You'd be surprised!

I have one last thing to say. You guys remember that I went to China the past summer, right? I climbed/hiked the Great Wall of China. As it turns out, after you do walk it, you can purchase something that says that you have climbed/hiked up the Great Wall.


Yea. It's in Chinese. But, it's like a scroll thing. It's awesome! I just thought I'd like to share this. 

So, what have your eats been lately? 
Do you like donuts?

4 comments:

  1. 25 calories per donut! - This is super amazing!

    I have a donut baking pan but didn't have the protein powder and wonder if I can reproduce this result :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as long as it makes 18 mini donuts, they are 25 calories a serving. It also depends on what brand of protein powder you have. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Those donuts looks so yummy!!! I like the batter better than the cooked recipe for a lot of things too lol!!! All your food looks yum yum. And the Great Wall of China scroll- so cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! And, yea. I think there's something about cooked protein powder that I don't like as much. It still tastes good though and I just ate it with some pb2! It's delish. And, yea. The Great Wall of China scroll. They wrote my Chinese name on it! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...