Friday, September 20, 2013

Tip of the Week: Organic and GMOs

Hey hey everyone. How is your week going? This week's tip is late in the week. I've been busy all week. Homework, exams, work, being the average busy college student. The only difference is that I'm taking a lot more classes. I'm taking 6 while the average is 4 or 5 classes.  I really enjoy my classes though! I'll talk more about it in another blog post.

Anyway, here's todays tip.

"Organic" and "GMO free" doesn't necessarily mean healthy or better for you. All organic produce contains the same nutrients as the ones in the regular store. For the most part, organic produce does taste better though. If you're worried about pesticides, there are still some pesticides used in some organic produce. Look up GRAS, generally recognized as safe.

Oh, and by the way, if you claim to eat "GMO free", and yet you eat bananas, you aren't eating 100% GMO free. Bananas were genetically modified a long time ago, in the mid 1900s. The banana you eat now is different from the ones your ancestors ate. Before, the bananas used to be harder to eat. They had a huge pit with a lot of seeds. Now, we can just eat the whole thing (except for the peel). It's amazing what science can do.

I guess that's it for now.

What's your opinion on organic/GMOs?
What's your favorite subject at school?

2 comments:

  1. This is soooo interesting, Helen! Omgsh haha, I feel like I've been betrayed with the whole banana thing. Not that I care now that it's been modified so long ago~but I had no idea about the pit and all. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a beautiful day, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea. My professor told our class that and I was shocked! She is a RD and has a PhD.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...