So, this week's tip can apply to today as well as your outlook in eating.
Many people host barbecues during the Labor Day weekend. There's hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, desserts, drinks and what not. You can, however, make some of these foods healthier. Here's how.
- When choosing hamburger or hot dog buns, buy the 100% whole grain ones.
- Try making your own hamburgers with lean ground beef. You can even use chicken or turkey instead. Veggie burgers are another great thing to make too.
- When making potato salad, try substituting some mayo with non-fat plain greek yogurt. You can also make your own mayo! You can use that instead of buying them from the store (which has preservatives!).
- Serve fruit as dessert! If you just have to have some other kind of dessert, make homemade whole wheat chocolate chip cookies.
- Adults, limit yourself to just one drink (that is, if you do drink).
- Serve water and iced tea at the barbecue. If kids don't like those, then at least choose 100% apple juice or orange juice. Make sure no extra sugar is added.
It's that simple. You don't have to totally give up your favorite barbecue foods. You just have to make healthier choices when it comes to which kind you actually buy. Remember, don't overindulge!
Have a great Labor Day.