Saturday, September 14, 2013

College and Life

I am loving my classes this semester, even though I'm taking a lot of units. My classes are interesting and fun. The cool thing is that in one of my classes, we get to cook. We'll be making salsa on Monday, which I'm happy about. I love salsa. This is kind of off topic but since I'm talking about food here, here's a picture.

I've been using the marinara sauce with whole wheat pasta and adding cheese to it. It's so good!

My favorite class, besides the cooking class (well, it's food preparation), is the Cultural and Social Aspects of Food. Each culture views food differently. What is considered a meal in the culture? How often do they eat? What are their portion sizes? What is their core food (staple) and what are their peripheral foods (things not eaten that often but they still eat)? How do their views affect how they view food? It's a very interesting course and I love it! It's important to understand other cultures. That way, you can make a difference. If your clients don't agree with your views of what they should eat or not eat, they're not going to change. You have to understand where they come from and incorporate change slowly. My professor is amazing and keeps us all engaged in that class. Time flies by so fast! 

Also, that professor is a Registered Dietitian and she is the sports nutritionist for the sports teams. Yesterday, me and a few other nutrition students were able to help out at a sports nutrition workshop she was holding for the cross-country team (there will be more workshops for other sports teams). It was fun, meeting other nutrition students. I also learned a lot about sports nutrition. Hydration is important. The carb/protein ratio for pre-workout is 4:1. And guess what. The post-workout is 3:1. You would think it'd be 2:1 but no, it's not. It is 3:1 for post workout. 

Pre-workout is the only time that is best to eat refined grains (unless your body is already used to eating whole grains) because of the fiber content. It tends to absorb more water. 

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic. I had fun volunteering and we got to eat pasta primavera! It was delicious! I have the recipe, which I may post later on. You'll be hooked once you try it!

On Thursday, it was bootcamp. Class that day was tough. We worked with barbells. It's been a while since I lifted weights (June), so imagine how weak I've gotten since then. It was a pretty intense class but I loved it. I'm still feeling it right now. Also on Thursday, I had to present  current event in my government class. Guess what topic I chose. I chose Obamacare. We had to summarize the article, analyze it and give our own opinion on it. My professor loved my presentation. =)

I guess that's it for now.

How was your week?
What do you eat pre/post workout? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...