Anyway, school starts back up in a few weeks and I can't wait! You would think one will dread going back to school. Well, I want to go back! I want to keep learning. But, having a break is good once in a while.
So, what is today's recipe today? You can already tell from the title of this post. It's Whole Wheat Corn Bread. It's been such a long time since I've eaten corn bread, and I have to say, it's one of my favorite breads.
I remember when I was in elementary school, the 4th grade took a class trip to Coloma. We learned about the Gold Mining days and everything. It was so much fun. One activity we did was making cornbread on an outside skillet. I don't know what it's called but it was before ovens were invented. We had to make a fire to make this. The cornbread was so good! It's unfortunate that I don't remember the recipe. All I remember is that I helped cracked the eggs and that the corn bread was delicious.
Anyway, I decided to make corn bread and it brought back some of those memories. I can't believe I can remember things from that long ago. Anyway, here's the recipe.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients.
- Mix in the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into a prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick to make sure it is all the way cooked.
- Let it cool and cut into 15 pieces. It will be about 100 calories a piece.
Do you guys like corn bread?
What are some of your favorite childhood memories?