Thursday, August 1, 2013

Exercising while on Vacation

Exercising while on a trip/vacation is something not most people would think about doing. It's a time to relax and have fun, right?



Well, exercising on vacation may not be a bad thing. Some may say it'll take time away from other things you have planned and it's a rest period for the body. However, exercising while on vacation CAN be fun and it'll help you slow down the weight gain from lounging around and eating out during your trip. 

I mention this because on my previous post, I wrote about my trip to China last summer. And, you know what? I still exercised and did some physical activity most days of the week. Some of it was fun, some I had to plan. Here's what I did.

During the tour, we went to a lot of places and it included a lot of walking and long bus rides. One fun activity we did was walking/climbing the Great Wall of China. You should see how steep some of the steps were. It was scary but it was a good workout. There were temples we visited that included walking up many steps. Those are the fun ways to "exercise" while on vacation. Also, I did a lot of walking while in Taishan, where we stayed for a week or two. 

The planned exercises were things I did in the hotel room before leaving for tour and going back to the hotel room after the tour. There weren't many cardio exercises I did in the hotel room. Some things I did were:
  • mountain climbers
  • jumping squats
  • push ups
  • sit-ups
  • pilates
  • yoga
I did that whenever I had time. Top it off with the humidity, it was hard. Seriously. Just walking after 30 seconds outside, you start getting sticky and sweaty, which is not fun. I was lucky there was air-conditioning in the places I stayed at. Even then, it didn't completely cover up the humidity in the air outside. 

Well, how can you incorporate this into your trips? The main thing I'm trying to say is find activities that you can do on the trip that are fun but also require physical activity. You can go biking if you are in a great area to bike in. If you are near the woods, hiking would be something to consider. If you're near the beach, it may be fun to go jogging on the beach as the sun is either rising or setting. You can even go swimming too. 

It's not impossible to exercise while on vacation. You don't need to go to the gym during your trip or vacation. Make it fun. Enjoy the environment you are at. You'll be happy that you did. 

Do you have any tips while exercising on vacation? 
What places have you traveled to? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...