- 3 3/4 cup bread flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup oil
- red bean paste
- BBQ Pork
- hot dog
- lotus seed paste
- In a bowl pour in the warm water and warm milk. Mix in the sugar.
- Add in the active dry yeast and let it poof for about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the egg and oil.
- Slowly add in the flour, cup by cup, until a dough has formed. Knead the dough. It should be elastic, but it shouldn't stick to the bowl.
- Cover it with plastic, and let it rise for about an hour in a warm place.
- Push the dough down to let out the air.
- Divide the dough into 15 pieces, and let them rise for an hour.
- For the hot dog buns. roll out the dough like play dough until it's long, and then wrap it around the hot dog. There are pictures for this step, if you are confused. Let it rise for 30 min to and hour.
- If you are making the bolo bao and are adding the red bean filling, flatten the dough with your hand and stretch it out just a tiny bit. Add the filling, and then fold in the edges together. Roll it into a ball and let it rise for 30 min to an 1hr. One hour is more ideal, so that the bread would be bigger.
- If you are making the bolo bao without the filling, it's time to bake them. Take a piece of cookie dough. flatten it out, make tiny criss cross marks, and but the cookie on the bread dough. Preheat the oven to 350 F and bake for about 20 minutes.
- For the hot dog bread, and bolo bao with the filling, after it's done rising, it is time to bake them. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Add the cookie topping to the bolo bao. Bake the hot dog buns for 15 to 20 minutes. The bolo bao would take about 20 minutes. Use your eye and judgement. The bread grows and rises while it's still in the oven. Enjoy your bread. :)
The Pineapple Bun Topping recipe
- 1/3 cup sugar (or a little bit more)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Beat the egg and sugar too. Add the egg yolk, baking soda, and the milk. Combine the flour and baking powder and then add it to the rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate for an hour before use.