Well..these breads look pretty delicious, don't they? 我做豆沙包, 菠蘿包, 很好吃。：）用 了五个小时。I know. 5 hours to make bread is a very long time. That's because I made it all by hand. I did not use a bread machine, well, because I don't have one. My family is very old fashioned. It gave me a good arm workout though. They taste pretty good, but they don't look as pretty as the ones from the Chinese bakery. I'm still working on it, but it has come a long way since I first baked this kind of bread. I'm too embarrassed to post the picture of my first attempt at making bread. So, here's the recipe.
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup salted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 7-8 cups bread flour
- In a huge bowl, combine the warm milk, warm water and sugar. Add the yeast, and let it poof for 10 minutes. Make sure the water and milk aren't too hot, or else it may kill the yeast.
- Next, add the eggs and the butter. Mix it all together.
- While mixing, add the flour one cup at a time. Once it has come together, start kneading the dough until it has become elastic, but still a bit sticky. Cover, and let it rise for one hour.
- If you want to, just add all the ingredients into a bread machine according to the manufacture's instructions.
- After an hour, divide the dough into 36 pieces, and cover, and let it rise for an hour. Do the same thing when the dough is done in the bread machine.
- After, you can use any filling you want. You can use red bean paste, BBQ pork, lotus seed paste, mung paste, custard, sausage or hot dog and basically anything you want. First, you take the dough, and then flatten it on your palm. Put a spoonful of filling inside and then take the edges and squeeze them together to cover the filling. If you are making hot dog buns (pig blankets), take the dough, and roll it into a long string. Then, you wrap it around the hot dog. Cover and let it rise for an half hour or so.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. If you are making the 菠蘿包 (pineapple buns), you add the topping right before you bake the bread (the recipe for the topping are under the pictures). The 菠蘿包 takes longer to bake than the rest of the bread. The red bean, BBQ pork bread takes about 13-15 minutes to bake. If the hot dog is raw, then it will take about 15 minutes to bake. The 菠蘿包 will take about 20 minutes. Just use your eye and judgment.
- 1/3 cup sugar (or a little bit more)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Beat the egg and sugar too. Add the egg yolk, baking soda, and the milk. Combine the flour and baking powder and then add it to the rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate for an hour before use.
So before I tell you guys how to make mushroom bread, I warn you guys to make small mushroom bread, not a huge one. I learned my lesson. A couple days ago, I wanted to make a huge mushroom bread for my history class, because we are learning about the Cold War. The bread was suppose to look like a mushroom cloud formed by an explosion. The bread did grow, but I when I tried taking the bread out after baking it, the inside was under baked while the outside was all the way cooked. It was a very sad attempt. The huge mushroom bread did not look like a mushroom either. I still got points, but I think it was out of pity. -_-. At least I received some credit.
I'm happy that I used the leftover dough to make small mushroom bread. Those turned out perfectly. The only difference is that you let the dough rise in a muffin pan instead. The baking time is 15 min. When you take them out, use a plastic knife first to go around the edges. Then, you can take them out. It makes it easier. Here are some pictures:
|My failed attempt at making a huge mushroom bread. -_-|
|The mini ones that just came out of the oven.|
|How they look when you take them out.|
Enjoy this bread. :)