Thursday, May 2, 2013

No Body is Perfect

Fat. Thin. Fit. Slender. Chubby. Overweight. Underweight. Anorexic. Normal. Average.

Do you guys understand what I'm talking about? Well, I sure hope you guys do.

There are so many labels and names people call each other when it comes to the body.

"Wow. That person looks fit." "That person looks fat." "No, that person is not fat. They are normal."

Can you see where I am going with this? Our perception of what a normal body, an overweight, or thin body is skewed! We all have different views of it. And, you know what? It screws with how we view our own body. This is especially common among woman.

image from http://www.k-state.edu 


I'm going to be honest here. I don't like my body, but I am trying to accept it. My thighs are not the size I want them to be. It's the same with my arms. I want them smaller. However, I know that they are made of muscle. It's the good kind of bulk.

My friend who's naturally skinny wants to gain weight and bulk in her body. She says her thighs are small and she wants them bigger. So, she started weight training and running. And, you know what? She lost weight and got smaller and thinner. She's mad that she lost weight and inches. However, you can see her muscle definition better.

I, on the other hand, gained muscle and bulk was added. That's what happened when I added weight training to my routine. My thighs did not get smaller. They got thicker with muscle (which you can see). She wants her body to look like mines while I want mines to look like hers. As you see, the type of body one desires is different. Some want to be stick skinny while others want to look fit, curvy, and a bit muscular.

What I am trying to say is, everyone has something about their body they don't like. We shouldn't compare our bodies to others. Everyone is built differently. As long as you eat right and exercise, you will be at a good healthy weight and have the body type that's right for you.

2 comments:

  1. That is so true Helen, and we need to accept the things we want to change about ourselves and just strive to be healthy! But admittedly, it's not always easy to do that, now is it??? It's so interesting to see the completely different perspectives you and your friend have...the grass is always greener on the other side and we need to be content with what we have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Health is the most important thing. One can be thin or fat but still be healthy while it also may be the other way around. We need to accept ourselves for who we are.
      And, yes. It is interesting. Her whole life, she's been thin and she wants the curves to wear some of the clothes she likes.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...