Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Victorian Sponge Cake and my day today


Hello everyone. How are you guys doing today? I'm doing pretty good, actually. I had a fun day today. I'll talk about my day later in the post. But, for right now, I have to tell you guys about the Victorian Sponge Cake I baked yesterday.
The cake is absolutely delicious. I received the recipe a long time ago last October, when British exchange students came to stay with some of my classmates. They gave me the recipe, but I never got to baking it until yesterday. Here's the handwritten recipe they wrote:

I thought that British handwriting would be different, but I guess it looks the same.

Anyway, that's the recipe they gave me. However, I did have to research it a little bit. As it turns out, it is self rising flour that is needed. If you don't have self-rising flour, you can add some baking powder to the flour. Just search online on how to make self-rising flour. I also added vanilla extract to add a bit more flavor. I didn't add any strawberry preserves or whipped cream, but I know that it would have tasted amazing if I had added it. Unfortunately, I didn't have any at home. I will remember to buy those the next time I bake this cake. It's still a very good cake. Enjoy. :)

Ingredients:

  • 4 oz self rising flour (1/2 cup)
  • 4 oz sugar (1/2 cup)
  • 4 oz butter (1/2 cup, I know. A lot of butter.)
  • 1 tsp baking powder (if you are using regular flour. Add baking powder to regular flour.)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • strawberry preserves
  • whipped cream
  • powdered sugar
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. 
  2. Grease a cake pan ( a very small one).
  3. In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. 
  4. Mix in the eggs. 
  5. Add in the vanilla extract. 
  6. Mix in the flour really well. 
  7. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for 20 minutes. Use a toothpick to test if the cake is done. 
  8. Wait until the cake cools. Cut the cake in half (horizontally) so that you can make a cake sandwich. Put strawberry preserves on one side of the cake and whipped cream on the other. Then, put it back together like a sandwich. 
  9. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top and serve. 
  10. Enjoy. 















So, I had a fun time today. It was a hot day though. I rode the lightrail with my cousin, met some random people while on the lightrail, bought my textbooks at the university and ate some yummy food. 

Well, in the morning, I was really hungry. I went to my cousin's place, but I hadn't had breakfast yet. So, we walked by a gas station, which was close to the lightrail station and I bought myself a Chocolate Chip Clif Bar. It costed twice as much as buying it from my local supermarket, but I was hungry. It was delicious though. We met a random person on the way there and that person kept talking to me and my cousin. That person was pretty nice though. Talked to us as if they've known us for a long time. Finally, we arrived where we were suppose to go and by then, it was lunch time. 

For lunch, we ate at a burrito place at the university. It was actually decent. It also came with chips and salsa. I ordered the veggie burrito. It tastes a lot better than the veggie burrito I bought at a different Hispanic place I talked about in June. 


We got our textbooks after and then we walked around for a bit. Then, we went back to my cousin's place, picked up my other cousin and went to get some froyo since it was a hot day! The froyo was delicious. I got toffee froyo, peanut butter froyo and milk chocolate froyo. You have to love self serve froyo. For the toppings, I got  sprinkles (my fav!), dark chocolate chips (my MOST fav), yogurt chips (I wanted to try it) and one chocolate covered pretzel ( I didn't want to overdo on the calories). All of it was delicious! 

So, I guess that's basically it. 

I really want to make horchata and naan. I will be able to sooner or later, once I get the ingredients. I'll post the recipe once I get it right. 

So, do you guys like froyo? Or do you guys like regular old plain ice cream? 
Have you guys had any weird experience while using public transit? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...