Thursday, September 1, 2011

白糖糕 Chinese Steamed White Sugar Cake

Hey everyone. What's up? Well, I made 白糖糕  a couple days ago, and I finally remembered to post the recipe today. These are yummy. They are usually served when eating dim sum. I always get them, whey they pass by with the carts. It's just too delicious. That's why I wanted to learn how to make them. They are quite different from other cakes, since they are fermented with yeast. It gives it a distinct flavor. The ones I made are actually quite good. They nearly taste the same as the ones served in restaurants. However, next time I make them, I prefer mines to be a bit thicker, so I'll do that next time. Most recipes out there are usually in metrics, but mines uses the US measurements. I hope this helps with the measuring. Good luck and enjoy.

Ingredients
  • 2  cups rice flour 米粉  
  • 1  1/2 cup sugar
  • 600 mL water (a little less than 3 cups)
  • 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon warm water
  • 1 tsp baking powder
Directions
  1. Sift the rice flour into a bowl. Mix in the sugar.
  2. Slowly mix in the water. 
  3. Pour into a saucepan and heat over low heat until the mixture has thickened, but still a bit runny. Stir to make sure lumps don't form. 
  4. Press the mixture through a sieve. 
  5. In another bowl, mix together the yeast and water. Mix it into the rice flour mixture along with the baking powder. 
  6. Let it sit there for 6 to 8 hours. 
  7. Pour into a pan and steam for 20 to 30 minutes.
  8. Enjoy. :)














No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...