Saturday, September 3, 2011

Pita Bread

¡Hola! ¿Cómo están ustedes? Hoy, yo hice pan. Pita Bread. I wanted to make healthier bread to eat, since most store bought bread is quite unhealthy, and has a lot of preservatives. It was my first attempt making these, and I'm quite pleased with the results. I searched all online for a recipe, but, I ended up messing up the recipe and had to make up my own while actually making it. While adding flour to the dough, I miscounted at first, but then I realized my mistake. So, I had to fix it, and I remember the measurements to which I have fixed it. It still tasted quite good, and I was really surprised that a pocket actually formed with the bread, since some people have not had luck making the bread puff up like a balloon to make a pocket. Anyways, here's my recipe. Next time, I might try to make it healthier by using whole wheat flour, and using honey as a sweetener instead. It'd give it a nice flavor. Anyways, I like pita bread because you can use it for so many things. Pizza, chips, sandwiches, dip it in hummus. Hummus is yummy, especially with baked pita chips. Now that I think about it, baked pita chips will be my next post. Anyways, you need this pita bread recipe before baking pita chips. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon warm water
  • 2 tsp active dry yeast
Directions: 
 
1. In a bowl, combine the water, sugar, and active dry yeast. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Gradually add in the flour, 1 cup at a time. After adding in the first cup, mix in the salt and the oil.
3. Once all the flour has been incorporated, knead the dough until smooth and elastic.
4. Let the dough rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
5. Divide the dough into about 10 to 15 balls, depending on how you want the size of the pita bread. I made mines smaller, making 22 pita breads.
6. Let it rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
7. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until about 1/4 inch thick. Cover the disks as you roll them
8 Preheat the oven to 500 F and bake them two at a time for 3 to 4 minutes, until the bread puffs up like a balloon and is pale golden.
9. Wrap them in a large kitchen towel to keep them soft.
10. Enjoy with some hummus or make a sandwich with it. You can also make pita chips or a pita pizza. It's your choice. Enjoy.













Enjoy your pita bread! My next post will be pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...