Saturday, October 22, 2011

馒头 Mantou

 Hey everyone. Today has been a very slow day. I got my flu vaccine, and I had a dentist appointment. They went okay, but it took some time off of some other things I wanted to do. I have to plan stuff for the Spanish class I am teaching, and I still have to write a few articles for my school paper. Busy Busy.
Anyways, today, I made 2 things. I made chocolate pancakes (which I will post tomorrow), and I made these, 馒头. They are really good, for my first time making them. I'm used to baking breads like bolo bao, red bean bao and chau siu bao. The only reason why I decided to make these was because my mom's friend made whole wheat mantou, and gave us some to try. Then, I decided to try to make my own, the regular kind. Not the whole wheat kind because family doesn't like whole wheat things. So, here's the recipe for 馒头. I'm getting pretty obsessed with bread making. I may make Pan de Muerto next week. :) Anyways, 馒头 this time. Enjoy. I may do some things differently next time I make it though. I may add a bit more liquid, since the dough was a bit dry. I might also experiment add fillings or adding a chocolate dough to it too. We'll see. 
Ingredients: 

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup cake flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup sugar ( it wasn't sweet enough for my taste, so I will up to 1/2 to 3/4 cup next time)
  • 1 cup warm milk (I will up to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup next time)
  • 2 tsp active dry yeast
Directions: 
1. Make sure the milk is warm. Put the warm milk in a bowl, and mix in the sugar (you can add up to 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar). Add in the yeast, and let it poof for about 10 minutes.
2. In another bowl, mix together the flours and baking powder.
3. Slowly pour in the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Then, knead it to make a dough. If the dough needs more liquid, add  more liquid.
4. Let the dough rest for about 10 minutes.
5. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle. Then, fold one side into the middle, and then fold in the other side to the middle. Roll it out again.
6. Brush water onto the surface of the rectangle and then roll it into a log.
7. Cut the bread into about 10 to 12 pieces.
8. Let the dough rise for about 30 min to an hour.
9. Steam for about 20 minutes. Once it's done steaming, leave it covered for about 5 minutes. You can slightly uncover it, but do not uncover completely, for if there is a sudden temperature change, the bread will deflate. 

































No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...