This took a total of 26 hours to make. It's because you have to soak the beans for 24 hours. You can soak it for just a few hours, but the cooking time will be longer. Anyways, it's well worth the effort. I hope you guys enjoy this red bean paste.
- 14 oz bag of dried red beans
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- a pinch of salt
- water (to boil the beans)
- Soak the beans in water for 24 hours. The beans will grow larger in size. You may need to add more water as time goes on.
- Rinse the beans and put them in a pot. Add water to cover the beans. Bring it to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat, drain the beans and put them back in the pot.
- Add water so that the water is 1/2 in above the beans. Bring it to a boil. Then reduce the heat and let it simmer, covered, for about one hour to 1 1/2 hours. The beans should be soft and easy to smush.
- Drain the beans and rinse the pot. Put the beans back into the pot and put it over medium low heat. Mix in the sugar 1/4 cup at a time.Then, mix in the salt.
- Once the red bean has become thick in texture (it may take 10 to 30 minutes), turn off the heat. Smush the beans with a potato smasher or a spatula. If you like a smoother texture, you can put it in a blender or put it through a cloth strainer. This would take a long time though.
- The red beans are ready.
I hope you guys enjoy. :)