Brown rice is actually tasty, if you like the nutty kind of flavor. I guess some people don't like it because it's not as soft as white rice. Also, it takes a longer time to cook. But, if you cook it correctly, the rice can be soft enough. I'm so happy because I've achieved that today.
It's best to switch from white rice to brown rice. You can use it to make fried rice too. You can eat it with chicken, fish, veggies and with whatever you please. I like it with tofu (steamed), broccoli, (with oyster sauce), salmon and soy sauce on the rice. It's just a suggestion. I really want to try it with red beans and coconut milk. I will when I can. But, anyways, here's how to cook the perfect brown rice, the stove top method.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- In a bowl, soak the brown rice for at least 1 hr.
- Drain the water, put the rice in a pot for the stove and mix in the 3 1/2 cup water.
- Put it over high heat until it boils.
- Cover the lid and turn it to low heat. Let it simmer and cook for 45 minutes. DO NOT UNCOVER THE LID.
- Once 45 minutes have passed, you may remove the lid to see if the rice is cooked. If not, cook it for an additional 10 min. If it is, then, the rice is done. Enjoy.