Wednesday, July 6, 2011

核桃虾 Honey Walnut Shrimp

I've been really bad at posting recipes every single week. I'm so sorry. I'm going to make it up now. I'll be posting a lot of recipes for the next month. So, bear with me. I have many things that I have made, but I have no time to post the recipes for them. I have still yet to post the 碱水粽 , which I will sometime soon. My mother told me  the recipe, and I forgot it. I have yet to ask her. We've been really busy that it keeps slipping my mind.  Anyways, today's recipe, it's a Chinese dish. Many people love this Chinese dish, 核桃虾, or Honey Walnut Shrimp. It's so yummy, and yet very expensive when you order them at Chinese restaurants. It's very popular too. However, it would probably be cheaper to make them at home. The only thing is peeling and deveining the shrimp. If you are up to doing that, then it's better to make it yourself. If you are not in the mood of peeling shrimp, then buy this dish. However, I high recommend you make it first and try this recipe before you go off buying something expensive. Haha. I made this for Father's Day (which was a couple weeks ago) and everyone loved it. :)

Ingredients: 
  • 1 lb shrimp
  • walnut halves
  • 3 tbsp mayo
  • 1/2  tbsp honey
  • 1- 1 1/2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
  • corn starch (around 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2  cup water
  • 1/2  cup sugar
Directions: 
  1. The first thing to do is the peel and devein the shrimp if you haven't yet. Rinse/clean the shrimp and pat dry. 
  2. Heat the water until it boils and then add the sugar. Keep stirring until it becomes a golden color and then add the walnuts. Boil for 2 minutes. Drain them and place them on parchment paper. 
  3. Heat the oil in a wok over high heat.
  4. Coat the shrimp with cornstarch. Then, fry the shrimp until golden brown.
  5. In a bowl, stir together the mayo, honey, and the sweetened condensed milk. Taste it. If it's too sweet, add more mayo. If it isn't sweet enough, add more of the milk. I usually end up adding a little bit more mayo, but it's just personal preference. 
  6. Then, coat the shrimp with the sauce, transfer to a plate, and then add the walnuts. Enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...