Tuesday, January 17, 2012

煎堆 Red Bean Sesame Balls

大家好!下个星期是中国的新年!一月二十三日!星期一.What sucks is that the week of Chinese New Year, is also the week of finals. I would rather celebrate the holidays than study for  finals. 4 AP classes to study for!
So, anyways, to celebrate the Chinese New Year, I decided to make these, 煎堆 . They're deep fried sesame glutinous rice balls. These have red bean filling in them. I love read bean. Anyway, even though they are really unhealthy (being deep fried in peanut oil) , they are so delicious! Don't eat too much of them though. Just a warning. Also, the deep frying part is the hardest part. Good luck. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients: 
  • 3  1/2 cups glutinous rice flour
  • 1  1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1  1/3 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 cup red bean paste
Directions: 
  1. In a bowl, add the sugar to the water. 
  2. In another, put in the rice flour. Gradually add in the sugar water to the flour.
  3.  Dust your hands with rice flour and form balls the size of golf balls. 
  4. Then, with the red paste, form balls smaller than the dough.
  5. Punch a hole into the rice balls (but not all the way) and shape it into a cup like container. Place a red bean ball inside the cup and close the dough over the red bean.
  6. Roll it into the sesame seeds. Then deep fry in peanut oil.
  7. Blot the balls (because of the oil) and enjoy. :) 
  8. Don't eat too much. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, I hear ya about finals. Those are no fun. Your food looks quite delicious, though! And cooking can help you de-stress, I'm sure. I'm very impressed by all the different food you make. Maybe it's because I haven't had dinner yet, but this one looks especially tasty! ;) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Finals. oh goodness. AP Spanish, Government, Literature and Psychology. Thanks. I always try my best when it comes to presentation, but also taste too. I just love trying to make new foods. lol. I'm making chinese cupcakes tonight, because of the chinese new year. And, wow. you should eat dinner. lol. Thanks again, Julianna.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...